A rare feat indeed! In fact, it has only happened 34 times in history! As the great Henry Aaron once said “The triple is the most exciting play in baseball. Home runs win a lot of games, but I never understood why fans are so obsessed with them.” The following are 10 random tidbits about three triples in one game:
- On today’s date back in 1967, Bert Campaneris of the Kansas City A’s hit three triples in a 9-8, 10-inning loss to the Cleveland Indians.
- The last player to accomplish the feat was Yasiel Puig of the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 25, 2014.
- It’s one of the more rarest offensive feats (.00017%) as there has conservatively been well over 210,000 games played.
- Of the 34 times it happened, 11 took place in the 1920’s.
- Nobody in the decade of the 1940’s had a 3-triple game.
- No player that hit three triples in their game hit a homerun in that same contest.
- Teams that have a player hit three triples in a game are 28-6.
- There have been eight Hall of Famers that have hit three triples in a game: Ernie Banks, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Joe DiMaggio, Charlie Gehringer, Earle Combs, Jim Bottomley, and Ross Youngs.
- The player with the best nickname to hit three triples in a game: “Baby Doll” Jacobson
- When Denard Span had his three triple game in 2010 he collected 5 RBI’s (the most).
And one bonus stat: Doug Flynn is the only New York Met to accomplish the feat and the only player to ground into a double play in the same game (and according to Flynn, the double-play he grounded into – was the hardest hit ball he had that day).
Hank Aaron: “
Doug Flynn did it